A common mistake when refunding a charge on a folio is to post a manual refund (Actions > Refund > Charge) instead of using the three dots next to the charge.
Manual refunds of charges, also known as allowances, are global. This means they are a general refund on the overall folio and are not associated with a specific charge.
Manual refunds cannot be reversed. Below is a workaround to correct accidental manual refunds.
- Move the manual refund to another folio: click the 3 dots (⋮) next to the charge and select move to.
- In that folio, add a manual charge to balance out the manual refund. (Actions > + Add > Charge > Add charge manually).
- Ensure that the amount, service type, and VAT type match the manual refund so that the accounting transactions balance out.
- On the original folio, you can now correctly refund the charge: click the 3 dots (⋮) next to the charge and select refund.
- You meant to discount a guest's city tax, but accidentally added it as a manual refund. Now the folio shows no connection between the city tax charge and your refund:
- To correct this, you move the incorrect refund to Folio 2 of the reservation.
- On Folio 2, you add a manual charge to balance out the manual refund, making sure the amount, service type and VAT type match your manual refund. Posting this balances folio 2.
- On Folio 1, you can now refund the city tax correctly, using the 3 dots next to the charge. You can clearly see which charge the refund is for: