In this lesson:
What you need to know
Different types of folios in Apaleo
- Guest folio: The FOLIOS tab of a reservation shows all folios from that reservation. By default, all charges from a reservation are posted to Folio 1. You can add additional folios by clicking on + Add a new folio. You can find all guest folios in the Finance module > Folios > GUESTS tab.
- External folio: External folios allow you to post charges and payments for customers who aren't staying at your hotel. You can find external folios in the Finance module > Folios > EXTERNAL tab. To create one, click + Create external folio and specify whether it will be billed to a customer or a company.
- House account: You can find the house account in the Finance module > Folios > HOUSE tab. It allows you to move charges from any guest folio. An example use case is when a service has been consumed but will not be charged to the guest due to a complaint. Check with your Apahero if and how the house account will be used in your hotel.
- Exercise 1: Create an additional guest folio Create an additional guest folio in any reservation. Try finding the folio in the finance module.
- Exercise 2: Create an external folio Create an external folio for a customer and fill out the billing address.
Apahero trainer notes
- Unlike an external or guest folio, the house account does not show where charges have been moved from. The use of the house account is thus only recommended for specific cases in which a charge is temporarily moved until it can be dealt with. Please discuss exactly if/how it will be used with your accounting department, as using it without a clear process in place can lead to very messy accounting records.
- External folios can either be billed to a customer or a company. The option to bill to a company only appears if companies have been set up.